Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Project Part 0: The Before

In part 1 of the project blogs I discussed how I picked FFmpeg for the project but glossed over the process of deciding on that software. In general I don't use linux a lot in my daily life, I have windows on my laptop and desktop and prefer it for my usual use, with using things like winscp and putty to deal with linux tasks for school. Though with this task it is obviously needed to find a software that works in linux.

Luckily there are many tools in windows for running linux applications either with a virtual machine or with some sort of linux faking program and these generally work so that was not the hardest part. The hardest part, for me anyways, was picking a software. Since I didn't use linux much I was not very aware of linux software let alone open source software (though plenty of it is so that's helpful). I ended looking at both the github most popular repositories and GNU open source software such as gzip and after a while of digging which also involved looking at previous year's projects I decided on FFmpeg. This is because tasks such as changing formats for an audio or video file are cpu intensive and because I found it easiest to get test data for such tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment